With Roger Buoen planning to retire, MinnPost is looking for an executive editor, who will direct MinnPost’s news coverage, reporting to me.
Responsibilities of this position include supervision of the newsroom staff, control over the newsroom budget, and leading and participating in the process of developing and executing stories and other news presentations for our more than 100,000 regular readers. The executive editor is also responsible for recruiting and retaining talent, articulating and maintaining MinnPost’s high journalistic standards, and being a public face of MinnPost’s journalism in the community.
The executive editor needs to be committed to MinnPost’s style of journalism, based on combining in-depth reporting with fair-minded analysis and commentary, focusing more on truth-telling than on an artificial objectivity.
The executive editor will also be part of the top management team accountable for the overall success of MinnPost, a member-supported nonprofit providing high-quality journalism online for news-intense people who care about Minnesota.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience generating high-quality journalism with either staff or freelance writers or both.
- Knowledge of state and local government, politics and policy, especially in Minnesota.
- A knack for finding interesting, untapped angles off the news.
- Deep knowledge of how journalism is changing in the digital age, including the role of social media, data journalism, and new forms of story-telling.
- A track record of successful leadership and teamwork.
If you are interested in this position, please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. We will begin reviewing candidates the first week in April.