How should a government shutdown layoff notice read? Many state employees I speak with feel the letters they received were too impersonal and failed to reflect the gravity of the situation and the consequences of putting so many workers out of work for an indefinite period of time. Here’s a copy of the letter (click here for a full screen view). What do you think?
Whatever side you come down on, please be thoughtful and nuanced. We want dialogue, not catfights.
Other footnotes to the shutdown:
- See the flyers some union members are being asked to hand out <li>Read Mark Dayton’s June 15 email to state employees
Keep reading! The Intelligencer covers the shutdown:
- State sends 582,000 letters to its most vulnerable: We may not be there to help you
- A dispatch from the front lines: As the shutdown approaches, chaos reigns
- State employees speak: ‘When something shuts down, it shuts down’
- The waiting game: What state employees are doing at home to prepare for the shutdown
- Are you a state employee bracing for a shutdown?