Obamacare is far from a disaster: It’s working here and across the nation

The Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) program is working in Minnesota and across the country. A June release of MNsure facts shows that more than 95 percent of Minnesotans are now insured. From September 2013 to May 2014, “The number of uninsured Minnesotans fell by 180,500, a reduction of 40.6 percent. To date, 236,745 Minnesotans have enrolled in quality, affordable coverage through MNsure. 136,303 enrolled in Medical Assistance, 48,942 in MinnesotaCare and 51,500 in a Qualified Health Plan.”

Support MinnPost by becoming a sustaining member today.

In April, President Obama announced that more than 7 million Americans had signed up for health insurance. The Affordable Care Act should continue to improve as more uninsured people who have been hesitant will enroll.

Another health care plus is Sen. Al Franken’s support of a provision included in the health reform law that has already saved consumers many dollars. It requires insurance companies to become more efficient and spend more premium dollars on actual health care as opposed to things like marketing or CEO salaries. This keeps the pressure on health care cost increases.

Obamacare is not the disaster shouted loud and often by Republicans like Rep. Michele Bachmann. She sponsored H.R 45, a bill to repeal the Affordable Care Act. Fortunately H.R. 45 won’t clear the Senate or the president’s veto pen. It is time for U.S. health care coverage to reach the level enjoyed in all other developed nations.

MinnPost welcomes original letters from readers on current topics of general interest. Interested in joining the conversation? Submit your letter to the editor.

The choice of letters for publication is at the discretion of MinnPost editors; they will not be able to respond to individual inquiries about letters.

1. Submitted by Dennis Tester on 07/24/2014 - 11:23 am.

You’re joking right?

Wait until this Fall when the premiums shoot up by 15-40% and those who were subsidized by the taxpayers are told they’re losing their freebees.

It’ll all be gone in 2017 when the republicans repeal it anyway.

• Submitted by Jonathan Ecklund on 07/24/2014 - 01:49 pm.

Well, I am laughing…

I’ll catalog this with the rest of your political prognostications about President Romney, Governor Emmer, Minnesota’s Constitutional Gay Marriage Ban and Voter Suppression initiatives.

2. Submitted by Kurt Nelson on 07/24/2014 - 01:02 pm.

Sure

It will take the Republicans to remove health care in place for millions of people – that is the sort of compassion i would expect from the morally deficient members of our society.

Maybe Dennis, you will take the high ground and refuse to collect any of the various benefits (some you label as Socialist), or will you continue to suck on the government teat (I think I can answer that, of course you will take the handouts), no moral high ground their right – them are my handouts and I deserve them.

Start practicing this phrase – President Clinton, it does roll off the tongue.

• Submitted by Dennis Tester on 07/24/2014 - 05:27 pm.

You’ll be pleased to know

that I receive no government benefits. And the way I figure it, after risking my life for 8 years for this nation, you still owe me even if I decline the offer.

• Submitted by Matt Haas on 07/24/2014 - 08:16 pm.

Hmm

Which nuclear war did your submarine take part in again? Thanks for your service, but please discontinue dishonoring the service of actual combat veterans, like say my WWII veteran grandfather, with your hyperbole.

3. Submitted by rolf westgard on 07/24/2014 - 08:42 pm.

Several things stand out

When I visit the developed nations of Europe and Asia. The inferiority of US public transport systems and the second rate way we deliver health care. We rank 34th on infant mortality rates among nations, and are similarly behind in other health statistics including the cost of medical care. We have more super facilities like the Mayo, Johns Hopkins, etc. But for the broad populace, we are behind without single payer. The ACA is a small step toward improvement.