It’s not getting the publicity that the Ames Straw Poll got earlier this month, but the Minnesota Republican Party is holding its own presidential straw poll during the State Fair.
You don’t have to pay $30 for the privilege of voting, as folks did in Iowa (or have a candidate pay for you), although there is the $12 Fair admission fee.
The choices in the poll at the state GOP booth, next to WCCO radio:
- U.S. Rep. Michele Bachmann, the Iowa straw poll winner
- Herman Cain
- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie
- Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich
- Former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman
- Michigan Rep. Thaddeus McCotter
- Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin
- Texas Rep. Ron Paul
- Texas Gov. Rick Perry
- Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney
- Former Pennsylvania Sen. Santorum
State Republican Party Chairman Tony Sutton said:
“Politics is as much a part of State Fair tradition as Pronto Pups. And at this stage of the campaign there are more candidates than you can shake a stick at. A straw poll generates the kind of good old-fashioned political debate that is the foundation of grassroots politics.”
Voting (and the Fair) run through Labor Day.