Tim Pawlenty will become the fourth GOP presidential candidate to sign a National Organzation for Marriage pledge to protect traditional marriage.
NOM announced his signing this afternoon, a day after Michele Bachmann, Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum signed the pledge. Pawlenty had originally declined to sign the pledge, a move that had NOM “scratching our heads.”
Candidates signing the pledge commit to:
- Support and send to the states a federal marriage amendment defining marriage as one man and one woman,
- Defend the Defense of Marriage Act in court,
- Appoint judges and an attorney general who will respect the original meaning of the Constitution,
- Appoint a presidential commission to investigate harassment of traditional marriage supporters,
- Support legislation that would return to the people of D.C. their right to vote for marriage.