Dogs are better than cats, period

The abundance of pro-canine evidence: their ability to save lives, fight crime and retrieve beer should drive cat fanatics into the dark corners of educated society.

1. Submitted by chuck holtman on 09/30/2011 - 04:54 pm.

Cat person here. One reason is, I like a pet with a sense of humor. I’ve never met a dog that evidenced, to me, a sense of humor. I’ve got a big yellow cat now with a great sense of humor. In fact I plan to show him this video just to get his sardonic take on it.

2. Submitted by will lynott on 09/30/2011 - 06:54 pm.

Amen, Brothuh.

3. Submitted by will lynott on 09/30/2011 - 07:47 pm.

Oh oh. When I said “Amen, Brothuh,”, I was responding to the article, not comment #1.

Just sayin’.

4. Submitted by Lance Groth on 09/30/2011 - 08:01 pm.

Parrots have them both beat. Smarts, longevity, and yes, sense of humor, to wit:

A certain African Grey would play a joke on the family dog. He would wait until the dog had lain down for a nap, eyes closed, and then make the doorbell sound. The dog would jump up and run to the door, and the Grey would cackle, doing a perfect imitation of his owner’s laugh. Then he’d wait until the dog decided no one was at the door and was stretched out again for a nap, and … Ding-Dong! Endless fun.

But really, I love them all. Critters of all kinds make life a happier proposition.

5. Submitted by Steve Rose on 09/30/2011 - 08:19 pm.

Maintenance; with all of those dog benefits come maintenance.

I’ve had dogs and I’ve had cats, and one time both simultaneously.

Presently, we have a feral cat that came to live at our house about three years ago, and she has made a slow and steady transition from feral to pet. Now, most winter nights she chooses to stay in.

We had her neutered, and she is current on shots. She and the vet share a mutual dislike; we were told that feral cats do not make good pets. To the contrary, I consider her the perfect pet. When we leave town for a week, we put her outside. When we return, she is happy to see us, and we take up where we left off. That is a low maintenance pet.

6. Submitted by Rosalie O'Brien on 10/01/2011 - 09:30 am.

LOVE the parrot story. Though I don’t disagree that cats surpass dogs in exhibiting humor, our Finnish spitz comes pretty close. Though of similar (medium-size) stature, she’s quite slender, weighing 15 pounds less than the 50-pound alpha dog, a border collie. Because the alpha usually ate most of the food from both bowls, we placed them on opposite sides of the kitchen. The alpha then decided to lounge near the spitz’s bowl, intimidating her and preventing her from eating her food. We thought we needed to intervene further, until we realized that the spitz had figured out that if she left the kitchen by the door near her food, circled around and entered through another door, darted straight for the alpha’s bowl and, with an air of utter insouciance, ate just one of the alpha’s kibbles, the alpha would realize that she’d better focus on her own bowl. It’s worked now for months. I know border collies are considered to be pretty smart, and ours is no slouch, but I guess some critters are smarter than others, and usually it’s a dog on the other end of those tales.

7. Submitted by Jerry Buerge on 10/01/2011 - 10:26 am.

Damn straight about cats being the superior pet … for a number of very good reasons.

—————————————–

They cuddle much better than any dog I have ever seen.

They don’t require any more attention than you have time to provide when you have s variable schedule.

They know where to put it with no intense training and will help you watch out the window while your neighbor walks their dog as it rains and snows, and then rub against you to let you know they care, as the traditional cat self-trained ‘high-five’ to let you know that you are a great team who know how to live the good life.

8. Submitted by Rachel Kahler on 10/02/2011 - 12:12 pm.

Heheeh. Cute. But you’re wrong, Mr. Gillette. Just. Plain. Wrong.

I liked the parrot story, though. I think I would love a parrot with a sense of humor like that. The problem is that parrots require much more specialized care, and a will (as in a recording of inheritance), in order to really give them what they deserve.

9. Submitted by Lance Groth on 10/03/2011 - 01:17 am.

Yes, Rachel, you’re quite right about the care requirements of parrots. I actually discourage people who ask about getting a parrot, at least until I’m sure they’re serious about the responsibility. 98% of people should not keep birds. They are messy, noisy, and high maintenance. Expensive, too, everything about them. They are not domesticated like dogs and cats – they are still essentially wild animals that are obliged to learn how to get along in an alien world when they are kept by people, and “house rules” are very difficult for them to learn. They can’t be left alone for more than a day, and are both very intelligent and very sensitive. There is a huge problem with parrots that have been given up by their owners because of the aforementioned caveats. Being given up by their humans, which they consider to be flock-mates, stresses them terribly and can cause neurotic behaviors like feather-plucking.

But, for those few who are willing to put up with the high maintenance aspect and provide a home that caters to their needs, they can be very rewarding. The coolest thing is that they can learn to use words and phrases appropriately – not just “parroting”, but meaningfully. I wouldn’t give my birds up for anything, but I will have to make arrangements for my Grey for after I am gone, as he should outlive me by a couple of decades or more.

10. Submitted by Henk Tobias on 10/03/2011 - 09:09 pm.

I like ’em both. Having said that, cats don’t disrupt the entire neighborhood with their antics. My neighbor’s dog has watched me come and go for the last six years, he has to know my schedule, he has to know that I belong here yet he still barks like a maniac every time he sees me in the yard. If I visit this neighbor its all good, its just my coming and going, working in the yard or even lying in my hammock. It goes on until she takes him in the house, otherwise he won’t stop. Its really annoying and its not just me, its everyone.