MINNESOTA HISTORICAL SOCIETY
The Minnesota Historical Society has located resources in its collections that relate to the I-35W bridge over the Mississippi in Minneapolis.
These are historical documents created before or during construction. For official information about the bridge as it existed prior to the collapse, please contact the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
Archival Footage of the I-35W bridge under construction in 1967 from the Minnesota Deptartment of Transportation records.
Click here to view the video
Archival photographs from the Minnesota Highway Department
* The Minneapolis Star, November 17, 1964 (PDF – 3 MB)
* The Minneapolis Star, July 5, 1966 (PDF – 1.5 MB)
Selections from the plans for Bridge 9340 from the files of the Minnesota Highway Department, Bridge Division. Bridge Plans, 1964-1977. Plans for Bridge No. 9340, “Trunk Highway 35W = 394” over the Mississippi River in Minneapolis. A set of plans from 1965 (94 sheets + intro sheet) may be viewed at the Minnesota Historical Society Library. A 1964 set of plans (12 sheets + intro sheet) and the 1977 repair plans (10 sheets + intro sheet) are also available.
* “General Plan and Elevation,” 1965 (sheet 1 of 94)
* “Deck Details at Piers and Abutments” showing detail of a roller, 1965 (sheet 4 of 94)
* “Deck Truss Spans, Floor Truss Details” including the gussets, 1965 (sheet 24 of 94)
* “Bridge Survey, Contracted Profile” showing the channel beneath the water, 1965 (sheet 86 of 94)
* Minnesota’s Historic Bridges
* Science Buzz at the Science Museum of Minnesota
* City of Minneapolis I-35W Bridge collapse information
* Government Publications Library at the University of Minnesota
* Governor Tim Pawlenty’s Executive Order declaring a peacetime emergency
* Resources on Minnesota Issues at the Minnesota Legislative Reference Library
* Minnesota Bridges: Maps and Databases by the Minnesota Center for Environment Advocasy