Replacement of the Hwy. 52 Lafayette Bridge in St. Paul will be discussed at a public hearing today at Metropolitan State University in St. Paul.
State transportation officials plan to start construction on the project in 2011. It would include:
• Constructing two new bridges (one bridge for northbound traffic and one bridge for southbound traffic).
• Reconstructing bridge approaches.
• Redecking the Hwy 52 bridge over Plato Boulevard.
• Improving connections to Interstate I-94 and local roadways at the north end of the bridge, including adding signals at the new access from northbound Hwy 52 to East Seventh Street.
• And adding a new pedestrian/bicycle trail over the Mississippi River on the east side of the northbound bridge.
The hearing will run from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. in the Great Hall of the New Main Building at Metro State, 700 E. Seventh St.