While squabbling continues on the pending Central Corridor light rail line between Minneapolis and St. Paul, officials are planning the next light rail line, a 14-mile route from Minneapolis through the southwest suburbs to Eden Prairie. Plans call for completion in 2015.
Three routes are being considered, and a final route should be announced this fall.
Five open houses are scheduled, starting next week, to explain the project and provide information about evaluation of route alternatives, which includes ridership forecasts, cost estimates, cost-effectiveness calculations, transit mobility measures, and an inventory of potentially affected critical environmental resources.
Open houses are:
- Tuesday, Aug. 11, 6:30 to 8 p.m., Hopkins City Hall, 1010 First St., Hopkins.
- Thursday, Aug. 13, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., Hennepin County Library–Central, 300 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis.
- Thursday, Aug. 13, 6:30 to 8 p.m., Minnetonka Marriott Hotel, 5801 Opus Parkway, Minnetonka.
- Tuesday, Aug. 18, 6:30 to 8 p.m., St. Louis Park City Hall, 5005 Minnetonka Blvd.
- Wednesday, Aug. 19, 6:30 to 8 p.m., Eden Prairie City Hall, 8080 Mitchell Road.
A public hearing to formally accept comments from the public will be held:
- Sept. 17, 6:30 p.m., at the Hopkins Eisenhower Community Center, Lunch Room, 1001 Highway 7, Hopkins.