Rep. Bachmann’s son joins Teach for America — a member of AmeriCorps, an organization she berated

Star Tribune columnist Jon Tevlin tells the story of how a child can grow up to ignore a parent’s wisdom and direction.

It’s the case of young Harrison Bachmann, who has joined the Teach for America organization, which is a member of  the AmeriCorps program.

He’s the son of U.S. Rep. Michele Bachmann, who has greatly disparaged President Barack Obama’s plan to expand AmeriCorps.

Tevlin quotes the congresswoman from a radio show earlier this year:

“[It’s] under the guise of quote, volunteerism, but it’s not volunteers at all. It’s paying people to do work on behalf of government. There are provisions for what I would call re-education camps for young people, where young people get trained in the philosophy the government puts forward and then they have to go work in these politically correct forums.

“As a parent, I would have a very, very difficult time seeing my children do this.”

Oops.

The item is generating a ton of comments, as might be expected.

1. Submitted by Hiram Foster on 08/12/2009 - 04:08 pm.

Let’s just say that on the whole, I am not Michele’s biggest fan. But as I worked my way through Tevlin’s column this morning, my thought was this was the worst piece of journalism I had read in a very long time. Bachmann and her adult son are two different people and why should what one does reflect on the other. And while Ms. Bachmann might object to any given program, why should she be anything other than proud that her son is teaching in our schools?

Tevlin should be ashamed of himself.

2. Submitted by carly torino on 08/12/2009 - 09:38 pm.

This is priceless. I wonder if she is still speaking with her son. There is a related post at http://iamsoannoyed.com/?page_id=588

3. Submitted by Hiram Foster on 08/13/2009 - 06:56 am.

I haven’t the slightest doubt that Michele is proud of her son, and I know that her pride is completely justified.

I reject just about everything Michele stands for, but I reject even more strongly the hypocritical pseudo liberalism that searches hard to find something negative to say about a young man’s decision to become a teacher.

4. Submitted by Jeff Klein on 08/13/2009 - 08:48 am.

@Hiram: I don’t think any liberals are saying something negative about a young man’s decision to become a teacher. I think they’re pointing out how his decision – a brave one in the face of things – puts his mother in a tough spot.

5. Submitted by Greg Kapphahn on 08/13/2009 - 09:55 am.

We have among these posts the very definition of a “concern troll:” one who seeks to attack, not by arguing with the accuracy of the facts portrayed in an article (by siting other, more accurate, sources), not by presenting an alternate interpretation of those facts, but, by attacking the source, the author, or the attitude the article seems to be expressing.

It’s cheap, it’s easy, no research or facts required, just “concern,” which hopes to raise doubts in the minds of others (unless they give it some thought and realize that there is no basis for their doubts except the underlying ideology of the concern troll him/herself).

6. Submitted by Jeremy Powers on 08/13/2009 - 11:18 am.

Never bad journalism to point our hypocrisy

Mr. Foster objects to this column saying that Bachmann and her son are different people. What kind of objection is that? The whole point of this story is that Michele Bachmann, Congress’ Number 1 Crazy Person, condemns a program as mind control and says she would have problems if her own children joined. And then, like an unbelievable punch-line to a political joke, her own son joins it. Harrison should be congratulated for not beleiving his own mother’s crazy political posturing. Bachmann should be derided for being a crazy hypocrite.

To NOT report this would be the very definition of bad journalism.

7. Submitted by Hénock Gugsa on 08/13/2009 - 11:27 am.

In spite of the fact that I don’t much care for the lady or her views, I don’t think this is yet another negative point against her. On the contrary, this should strengthen her. She has raised a level-headed son (not a demon) and set him loose in the world. I thank her for that.

8. Submitted by Erik Holmes Sr. on 08/13/2009 - 05:03 pm.

Guess what? Who cares if you don’t care for Congresswoman Bachmann or not?! Thats not the story subject. Ms. Bachmann’s son is an adult, with the right to choose (whether for or against his family’s values).
    And what the heck are you talking about (Trolls?), Mr. Kapphahn? That makes no sense whatsoever….
    She (Congresswoman Bachmann), is a highly upstanding and professional Conservative representative of this state. She also happens to show very ethical and honest values. Thats why people like her and former Govenor Palin scare you Liberals to death. They are for the good of the American citizens & families, and not out to destroy and bring down our country as the other MN Democratic Knuckleheads are. They are only focused on latching onto B.H.O.’s shirt-tail and holding on for a ride on the ‘Socialism Rollercoaster’. And those ‘Yes-Men&Women'(Dems) don’t intend to vote on anything per the majority of their constituant’s wants&needs,(i.e. bills that are being shot down the pipe so fast that they cannot be read OR researched beforehand). They vote per THEIR OWN agenda in order to become reelected to keep ahold of their entirely way-overpaid jobs in D.C., free expensive resort vacations, and elitist healthcare & retirement programs. And they don’t intend to elect to take on the same things that they vote for either – that their constituants will have to undergo, (such as the current government healthcare take-over as example #1). Go ahead & ask ’em!
    So her son is currently mesmerized&brainwashed by the Obamanation administration. The majority of young people have been, but they’re smart, and once they realize this country is on it’s way into the sewer, they’ll come around, just like my son did. They voted for “Change”, but were only tricked or duped by an alternate definition of “change”. It only took my son a few weeks following the inauguration, that he totally made a huge mistake by voting Lib-Dem as most young people were caught up in the heat of the moment by your “new-messiah”.
    She can only hold her son’s hand and guide him so much, then it’s up to him to make his own decisions. Heres a clue…don’t bet your paycheck that B.H.O. will be reelected in 2012! He may be impeached before that…
    I blame the horrible Liberal MN schoolsystem (who refuses to teach the actual good parts of US history and good old American family values from our forefathers and the Bible as they should, but push unethical values, and democratically based Liberalism), and the Liberally biased media for helping turn our children into Liberal-Idiot-Zombies who don’t actually know what our great country is all about. Would you blame Hitler’s mother for his evil acts? Would you blame B.H.O.’s mother for his dishonesty&arrogance? So don’t blame or ridicule Ms. Bachmann for her son’s opposite views. He’s entitled to it, no matter if the media attempts to embarrass their family as they have recently done to the Palins.

9. Submitted by Hiram Foster on 08/13/2009 - 06:19 pm.

puts his mother in a tough spot.

Hardly. She opposes the program. But the idea that she opposes her son or in anyone’s son decision to become a teacher is ridiculous. I see nothing here that suggests hypocrisy.

10. Submitted by Mitch Berg on 08/13/2009 - 07:11 pm.

In addition to the comments above about the shoddiness and pettiness of Tevlin’s piece (it’s actually – I never say this – too stupid to be a Nick Coleman column), there’s the little matter of it misrepresenting what Rep. Bachmann actually said on the Jeffers show.

11. Submitted by Hénock Gugsa on 08/13/2009 - 09:35 pm.

I think # 5 hit a nerve when he mentioned “trolls”. Someone (not me) pretty near had a stroke.