St. Paul City Attorney John Choi will get a major award in October from the International Municipal Lawyers Association.
He’ll get the Joseph I. Mulligan Jr. Distinguished Public Service Award, the group says, for his work last year that included:
• developing local and national foreclosure strategies, including a ‘Multi-City Working Group on Foreclosures,’ a coalition of 20 cities nationwide to leverage municipal interest and explore joint legal strategies to hold lenders accountable;
• leading a community process to develop an implementation plan to improve opportunities for small and women- and minority-owned contractors; and
• working at the Legislature to develop and implement public safety tools including:
• civil gang injunctions to combat criminal gang activity, and
• a driver diversion program to decrease the revolving door issue and provide drivers a responsible path to pay their fees and get their licenses reinstated.
Choi will get the award at the group’s convention Oct. 18-21 in Miami.