Iowa voters apparently aren’t looking north for inspiration in the early days of the 2012 political season: A poll released today by the Iowa Republican — “News for Republicans, by Republicans” — puts Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty in a tie for sixth.
That may sound better than it seems because Pawlenty and South Dakota Sen. John Thune each had only 1 percent.
The good news for Pawlenty: 23 percent of those surveyed remain undecided.
The poll showed:
- Mike Huckabee, 22 percent,
- Mitt Romney, 18 percent
- Newt Gingrich, 14 percent
- Sarah Palin, 11 percent.
- Ron Paul, 5 percent,
- Pawlenty and Thune, 1 percent each
- Former U.S. Senator Rick Santorum did not surpass the 1 percent threshold.
- Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour and Texas Gov. Rick Perry did not register any support in the poll.