St. Paul officials report on this rainy day that they’ve snagged a grant for $150,000 to provide solar heating for the new Como pool and facilities.
The money is a solar Energy Legacy Grant from the state’s Heritage and Legacy fund.
The old Como pool was closed in 2008, but construction on the new one, with the solar heating, will start next month and it should be finished by swimming season 2012.
Other energy-efficient features of the new pool will include:
• Occupancy sensors for lighting efficiency
• Low flow fixtures for water efficiency
• Skylights and use of natural light
• High efficiency mechanical equipment
• Rain gardens and infiltration basins
• Native plant species to minimize irrigation needs
• On-site chlorine generation for pool sanitation
• Regenerative media pool filters
• Variable Frequency drives on all pool pumps.