A gaggle of policy experts this morning endorsed Independence Party gubernatorial candidate Tom Horner.
Among them was former North Dakota Gov. Allen Olson, who has lived in Minnesota for many years and met Horner when Olson was heading a bankers’ association. Olson said he governed North Dakota during a recession and that it’s a role for someone willing to make “tough decisions.”
The others who attended a Capitol news conference, with many saying they had never before endorsed a candidate, were:
• Richard Braun, former commissioner of the Minnesota Department of Transportation
• Jack Geller, University of Minnesota, Crookston, rural development expert
• David Jennings, former speaker of the Minnesota House and Minneapolis interim school superintendent
• Joan Niemiec, former Minneapolis City Council member and a self-described “lifelong Democrat”
• Jean Taylor, of Mankato, former CEO of Taylor Corp.
• And Fred Zimmerman, professor emeritus at the University of St. Thomas and a manufacturing expert.