Speculation that Jim Oberstar might try to retake his long-held seat in Congress was stifled Wednesday, when the 18-term House member said it’s unlikely he’ll run again after last November’s unexpected defeat.
Oberstar, who at the time seemed as surprised as most political pundits that he lost in November to Republican rookie Chip Cravaack in the usually safe DFL district, told MPR that a he’s not contemplating a rematch.
Earlier in the month, his comments at a labor lunch — about leaving the door open — were taken as a signal he might be planning for a return engagement.
But Wednesday’s comments were pretty clear:
“Things have changed, and I’m moving in another direction,” he said.
And: “Who knows what circumstances will be in the future, but truthfully I don’t see any such circumstance changing.”
Of course, he did repeat the idea of not closing any doors, and we still haven’t seen any official announcement of anyone planning to take on Cravaack in 2012.