Applicants for a seat on the Metropolitan Council have an extra week to get their paperwork in order, Gov. Mark Dayton said today.
The governor also announced the nominating committee members who will make recommendations for the Met Council positions. The governor previously announced that Susan Haigh will be Met Council chair.
Deadline for applying for a council seat is now Jan. 21. Application forms are available at the Secretary of State website or by calling 651-556-0643. Applicants must be a resident of the district for which they are seeking appointment and knowledgeable about urban and metropolitan affairs.
The seven members of the nominating committee are:
- Jay Cowles, co-chair, Itasca Project Transportation Committee
- Bill Hargis, former Woodbury mayor
- Mary Hamann-Roland, Apple Valley mayor
- Janet Williams, Savage mayor
- Melvin Carter, St. Paul City Council member
- Dennis Berg, former Anoka County commissioner
- Gail Dorfman, Hennepin County commissioner
Cowles will head the committee, which will “will review applications and letters of support submitted to the Secretary of State’s Office. It will select candidates to be interviewed at a series of public meetings and recommend finalists for each of the 16 Council districts.”