Rep. Cornish’s email response irks Human Rights Campaign advocate

Here’s a little sign of what’s to come now in the wake of a House vote Saturday night in favor of the marriage amendment, which now will be on the ballot in 2012.

Annie Modesitt sent Rep. Tony Cornish, R-Good Thunder, an e-mail, via a Human Rights Campaign website, expressing her “anger and disappointment that you would focus on a socially conservative agenda that runs contrary to Minnesota values,’’ rather than on such issues as the state budget and job creation.

Cornish had a four-word response: “Give it a rest!!!!!!!!”

Modesitt, who does not live in Cornish’s district, was not impressed.

“Rude’’ was her comment.

She didn’t sound as if she’ll be giving the issue “a rest.’’

“I’m not in his district,’’ she wrote in an email. “But I DO live in Minnesota and a statewide policy regarding marriage equality effects EVERYONE living in our state.’’

1. Submitted by Stephanie Szurek on 05/22/2011 - 08:58 pm.

I got the same email in response and posted it to my personal tumblr blog – which as of now (9pm) has almost 700 responses. Ridiculous. I’m not a constituent either, but I feel sorry for those who are!

2. Submitted by will lynott on 05/22/2011 - 10:35 pm.

Jeez, I used to really like this guy.

3. Submitted by Mike Underwood on 05/23/2011 - 06:46 am.

Hey, I am one of “his” constituent, too bad for me!! I’ve written to him time and time again and all I get are these same style responses. He only supports Republicans and their agenda, don’t try and change his mind or you will be chastised for saying anything (just like he did to you).

I’m afraid that as long as he keeps running for office he will be reelected. His district is all rural, big farmer populated, hometown boy. It will never be changed!! The funny thing is/was that he is a retired DNR Conservation officer, current City police chief and Legislator but he HATES all State employees!!

I don’t even try and engage my reps anymore, they will never change their minds….too bad 🙁

4. Submitted by Bobby Bothmann on 05/23/2011 - 07:27 am.

Be thankful he’s being so nice. I wrote this two years ago:

Dear Rep. Cornish,

I read, with great dismay, your bill HF1870 that you endorse and support, that seeks to disenfranchise human beings who happen to be gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender. (https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/revisor/pages/search_status/status_detail.php?b=House&f=HF1870&ssn=0&y=2009)

I am at an utter loss to understand why you, a member of a party that purports to support freedom, wants to create a constitutional amendment that denies freedom to a large percentage of the population, and furthermore would seek to enshrine bigotry.

I sincerely would like to know:

Why did you write/support this bill?

What would you gain from this if it were passed? What does Minnesota gain?

How would such an amendment to the Minnesota Constitution serve to protect our unalienable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

And his response was:

Hey Bobby,

I guess it all started in the farm yard years ago when I noticed that all the animals paired up male and female and went on from there.

Sincerely,

Tony

5. Submitted by Ann Richards on 05/23/2011 - 08:00 am.

I am amazed you even get those responses. So far this session I have sent 7 emails (they claim that is what they want), all individual, respectful letters, and I have yet to even get an acknowledgment of having received them- 2 were to my own rep and senator whom I have met. This is the first year ever that I have not gotten a response to a letter.

6. Submitted by Jeff Wilfahrt on 05/23/2011 - 10:40 am.

You still should write Reprehensive Cornish. I did. He reminded me of something grandpa used to say about horses, that being “there are more horses a**es in the world than there are horses.” Him being a farm boy, he should appreciate the humor in that.

Jeff Wilfahrt, Rosemount, MN

7. Submitted by Tom Weyandt on 05/23/2011 - 11:31 am.

He is a small minded bully who likes to swagger around the Capital and try and impress everyone with his vast experience in law enforcement. His universe is about 3 feet around and there’s no doubt that he’s at the center. He is led around by the nose like a lamb by far right groups and is lack of respect for anyone who even begins to disagree is legendary. Tony Cornish deserves to be placed in a Lucite box and sent out to Idaho where they may find a use for him and break it open.

Cornish is an embarrassment to the ideals Minnesota had held back when the state was at the top of many lists of positive accomplishments and not fighting to see how far down those lists we could go.

8. Submitted by Jean Lovett on 05/24/2011 - 12:27 am.

I remember talking with Mr. Cornish when he was the DNR officer in the Vernon Center/Amboy area. I told him that my dog was killed in a raccoon trap that was placed illegally in a culvert right under the gravel road that we walked along every day. All he said was “yeah that happens sometimes,” and then walked away.