Nonprofit, nonpartisan journalism. Supported by readers.


Hennepin County gives voter registration info for special elections

Both special elections to be held this fall for state Senate seats will be in Hennepin County: the Senate District 46 race in Brooklyn Park to fill the seat of the late Linda Scheid and the Senate District 61 seat to replace Linda Berglin, who resigns this month.

So Hennepin County officials have provided information for voter registration for the Sept. 13 primaries and Oct. 18 special elections:

How do you register to vote?
Primaries for the two special elections for Minnesota Senate districts 46 and 61 are Tuesday, Sept. 13. You can pre-register to vote until Tuesday, Aug. 23, at 5 p.m. After that, you can register at your polling place on the day of the primary.

To register to vote, you must:

• Be a U.S. citizen.

• Be a resident of Minnesota at least 20 days before the primary.

• Be at least 18 years old by the day of the primary.

• Live at the address on your registration form.

You cannot vote if you:

• Have been convicted of a felony — until your felony sentence has expired (been completed) or you have been discharged from your sentence.

• Are under court-ordered guardianship in which the court order revokes your right to vote.

• Have been found by the court to be legally incompetent to vote.

If you are currently registered to vote, you don’t need to register again unless you have:

• Moved to a different address.

•Changed your name.

• Not voted during the last four years.

To check your registration status or download a voter registration application, go here. Click on “Check your voter registration status.”

To register to vote at your polling place on the day of the primary, you must provide election judges with proper identification, such as:

• A Minnesota driver’s license, a learner’s permit, a state identification card (ID) or a tribal ID card that has your current address (or the receipt for renewal or change of license or ID).

• A “notice of late registration” from your city clerk, if you pre-registered to vote but didn’t make the deadline for the primary.

If your ID doesn’t have your current address, bring one of the following documents, even if it has your previous address:

  •  Minnesota driver’s license, state ID or tribal ID.
  •  U.S. passport.
  •  U.S. military ID.
  •  Student ID from a Minnesota college.

AND one of the following:

A bill for electric, water, gas, telephone (including cell phone or satellite phone service), cable TV, Internet service provider, sewer or trash pickup that has your name and current address, with a due date within 30 days of the primary. Electronically provided utility bills and rent statements with utilities included as an itemized portion of the rent also are acceptable proofs of residence.

If you have none of these, another registered voter living in your precinct can come with you and vouch for your residency.

For more voting information, visit or call your Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park or Minneapolis city clerk; go here or call or visit the Hennepin County Elections Division: 612-348-5151.

You can also learn about all our free newsletter options.

No comments yet

Leave a Reply