Monday’s Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. holiday brings many events to honor the slain civil rights leader.
The annual MLK Day breakfast at the Minneapolis Convention Center features a speech by human rights activist Nontombi Naomi Tutu, daughter of South African Archbishop Desmond Tutu. The 7 a.m. Monday event features other speakers and music; tickets are $30.
TPT2 plans to broadcast the breakfast at 8 a.m.
Neighborhood MLK breakfasts at these locations around the area will air the broadcast and include local programming:
- Northeast Suburbs: White Bear Unitarian Universalist Church, 328 Maple St., Mahtomedi
- East side/Downtown Saint Paul: First Lutheran Church, 463 Maria Ave., St Paul
- Westside/West Saint Paul: St Matthew’s Catholic Church, 490 Hall Ave., St Paul
- Summit-University (Saint Paul): Mt Olivet Baptist Church, 451 Central Ave., St Paul
- River Falls, Wisconsin – St Bridget’s Catholic Church, 211 East Division St., River Falls, Wis.
- Duluth — Holy Family Catholic Church, 330 N. 59th Ave. W., Duluth
A rally and march begins at St. Paul’s Central High School at 9:30 a.m., with the march to Concordia University beginning at 10:35. A program from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Concordia includes music, dance and speeches. A cultural fair follows.
Minneapolis Community and Technical College holds its fourth annual Day of Service on Saturday, Jan. 14, with breakfast keynote speaker Dr. Verna Price and events through the day.