The Met Council is preparing its 2013 budget, and is looking at an operating budget that’s $48 million more than this year.
That would be a 6 percent increase over this year’s $780 million budget to $828 million, but Metro Cities News — a publication of the organization formerly known as Association of Metropolitan Municipalities — says the agency is considering just a 2 percent property tax levy increase, to $78.5 million.
The final budget and setting of the levy will come in October.
The story says the Met Council’s strategy in the budget process is:
- Maintain the AAA bond rating
- Support business needs for programs
- Strive for reasonable impacts on regional taxpayers
- Support general fund operations
- Identify long term strategies and risks