Former Gov. Arne Carlson endorses Graves in 6th District

Former Gov. Arne Carlson, who won two terms as a Republican, has endorsed DFL challenger Jim Graves over incumbent Republican Congresswoman Michele Bachmann in the 6th District congressional race.

Republicans say: Big deal. They call Carlson a former governor and a former Republican. Carlson did endorse President Obama in 2008 and Tim Walz in 2010, and has been a moderate voice on many issues, including opposition this year to the voting and marriage amendments.

The Pioneer Press quotes Carlson in his endorsement of Graves saying:

“When I look at Jim Graves, I see a man who to a large extent epitomizes the American Dream. [Congress] needs more entrepreneurs. [Jim] has the kind of background that Congress frankly needs. We have a lot people … who talk about growing jobs, but very few who ever did. Jim Graves knows how to do it.”

Carlson has been critical of Bachmann for years and said in his endorsement of Graves that Congress needs fewer show horses and more work horses.

1. Submitted by Nate Arthur on 10/24/2012 - 01:19 pm.

A ray of sunshine

I am so proud to say that I diverged from a long history of leaning democrat and voted for Arne Carlson both times he ran for MN governor. He has always done the right thing for Minnesota, and here he goes doing it again. Oh and speaking against the voter registration amendment recently too. No regrets, Arne!

2. Submitted by Jackson Cage on 10/24/2012 - 01:39 pm.

Really, what choice did he have???

As a sane, clear thinking individual, he was going to endorse Michelle???

• Submitted by Bob Lawrence on 10/26/2012 - 01:30 pm.

Sure

Lots of people are going to vote for her. I see another win for her. Wish I was in her district, she would have my vote.

3. Submitted by Bob Lawrence on 10/26/2012 - 01:29 pm.

Big shock

Nobody should be surprised by this. I know I am not. When is he going to start putting a D after his name?

4. Submitted by Logan Foreman on 10/24/2012 - 05:08 pm.

Frankly Arne

Is a Republican in the MN tradition. Many who now call themselves republican are not.

5. Submitted by mark wallek on 10/24/2012 - 07:46 pm.

Sanity

Gov. Carlsen has a reputation as an engaging, sane individual. That he is not endorsing the offering that is Michelle Bachmann is clear testimony to the fact of his sanity.

6. Submitted by John Edwards on 10/25/2012 - 04:34 pm.

A Republican In Name Only

Sadly, Arne ran as a Republican, but in his heart he was always liberal. To my knowledge, he never had a significant job in the private sector. He was the only full-time Reublican legislator I ever knew. I was aware of numerous liberal DFLers whose job was legislator, which meant their main paycheck came from the taxpayers. I always thought it fortunate for Arne that he was able to marry Barbara, who came from a very wealthy family. Calling Arne a former Republican is like calling former Clinton political operative Dick Morris a Democrat. Those labels are no longer applicable to either.