Many levels of politicians will gather and speak Saturday at the grand opening of the new Lowry Avenue Bridge over the Mississippi River, connecting North and Northeast Minneapolis.
The bridge was closed in 2008 because of structural problems and torn down the next year.
It will open to traffic Saturday evening.
Scheduled to speak at the 10:30 a.m. event are:
- U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar
- U.S. Rep. Keith Ellison
- Sen. Linda Higgins
- Rep. Diane Loeffler
- Rep. Joe Mullery
- Mike Opat, Hennepin County Board chair
- Peter McLaughlin, Hennepin County commissioner
- Barb Johnson, Minneapolis City Council president
- Mark Stenglein, Downtown Council president
The schedule of events:
- 10:30 a.m. Patrick Henry and Edison High School marching bands
- 11 a.m. Short program
- 11:30 a.m. Ribbon cutting
- 11:45 a.m. Twin Cities River Rats water ski performance
- 12:15 p.m. Ceremonial parade across bridge.