The lineup is shaping up for a special election to fill GOP Rep. Steve Gottwalt’s seat in the state House.
Gottwalt resigned his seat in District 14A, effective Monday, to take a legislative policy job in the private sector. He’d been reelected to a fourth term in November.
Gov. Mark Dayton has not yet designated the special election day, but it will be within the next 40 days.
The St. Cloud Times lists Republicans who plan to vie for party endorsement at Saturday’s endorsing convention:
- Scott MacHardy, an Iraq War veteran from St. Cloud
- John Severson, a former St. Cloud city council member
- Tama Theis, a small business owner from St. Cloud
Two DFLers are considering a run when their party endorses later in the month:
- Joanne Dorsher, a former St. Cloud school board member
- Jerry McCarter, a former state Senate candidate
The district includes west and south St. Cloud, Waite Park and St. Augusta.
There’ll also be a special election for another House seat — the District 19A seat vacated when state DFL Rep. Terry Morrow took another job after the election. Two Republicans and three DFLers are seeking their party endorsements in that race.