Minnesota for Marriage holds state-wide rallies to oppose gay marriage legislation

A group working to stop legislation that would allow gay marriage will travel around the state this weekend to rally rural Minnesotans against the proposal.

Minnesota for Marriage is using the events to help galvanize its base in rural Minnesota.

In a statement from the group, Crystal Crocker, Minnesota for Marriage’s director of grassroots, said:

“With the metro area and gay ‘marriage’ lobbyists trying to force gay ‘marriage’ on the majority of Minnesotans who want our state’s marriage law left as it is, we are ready to help Minnesotans around the state connect with their legislators in St. Paul.”

The group plans to hit the road this weekend and next.Details are on the group’s website.

This weekend’s schedule of outdoor rallies has been set:

Friday: 7 p.m. in Hinckley.

Saturday: 11 a.m. in Duluth, 2:45 p.m. in Grand Rapids, and 7 p.m.  in Brainerd.

Sunday: 12:15 p.m. in Detroit Lakes and 3:30 p.m. in Morris.

Next weekend, April 20 and 21, the group plans stops in Eden Prairie, Montevideo, Owatonna, Austin and Rochester.

1. Submitted by Tom Miller on 04/12/2013 - 12:35 pm.

On forgiveness and reconciliation

Whether you side with the gay activists/allies working for equal access to civil marriage or the religious/conservatives who believe that homosexuality is a sin (not all do), it seems all of us could benefit from forgiveness and reconciliation.
    All of us want to be happy, no one wants to suffer, if you act with that in mind, then it will be a good thing. I look forward to a time when our country can live with more ‘cultural peace’ and less ‘cultural war’; our country will be better for it.

2. Submitted by Todd Hintz on 04/12/2013 - 04:31 pm.

Gay Marriage

It’s been said many times before, but it looks like some people still have not received the message. No one is forcing gay marriage on anyone else. If you don’t like gay marriage, don’t get gay married. Beyond that, it has no affect on anyone else.

Get over it and move on to a meaningful issue that will help society.

• Submitted by Kenneth Kjer on 04/14/2013 - 01:05 pm.

Gay Marriage

Todd: You have it exactly right. I wish I would have said what you did. I have no idea how two people of the same sex getting married is going to affect my marriage, my sons marriage, or anybody the I know marriage. Half the people that I know who are opposed to gay marriage don’t even know anybody who is gay. So how is any gay person going to affect them no matter what they do?

3. Submitted by Andrew Kearney on 04/13/2013 - 10:16 am.

Forgiveness and reconciliation

I am all for the above and cultural peace, too. I am also in favor of marriage equality. But I think the proponents of a legislative change this year have been dishonest. In rounding up opinion last year to stop the constitutional amendment we were told to reassure voters pondering this that a vote No would not mean there would be ‘gay marriage’. It seems dishonest and dis-genuine to be rolling this out within months of the historic defeat of the amendment. It does not give more conservative parts of the state and more conservative communities time to digest and think about this. Time is a great healer and we could have used some time. The current effort seems demanding, petulant and dishonest. I hope all of you who want this NOW understand there will be a political price to pay for this and it is the poor who will pay the price (not you) if Republicans gain control of the House. Is this the price you are willing to pay rather than wait for Tom MIller’s “forgiveness and reconciliation” to play out? Not me-no lawn signs and donations from me this year-wait a year or two and you bet I’ll support this.

• Submitted by Dan Hintz on 04/14/2013 - 09:50 pm.

Petulant?

Is it really petulant to ask for the same civil rights as everyone else? Do you really think that the people for whom this legislation has real-world consequences should have to wait because some people are uncomfortable?

Some day when same sex marriage has been legal for awhile, people who made these kind of arguments are going to be really embarassed.

4. Submitted by Kenneth Kjer on 04/13/2013 - 11:09 am.

Minesota for Marriage

When they are through with this campaign, they can then start to lobby for blacks to use the back of bus and use separate bathrooms. These are folks who would vote for Governor Wallace and join the KKK. They actually believe that the bible is accurate and the pope is infallible.

5. Submitted by Paul Udstrand on 04/13/2013 - 12:37 pm.

Whatever

I’m thousands will turn out.