The 150th anniversary of the pivotal Civil War battles of Gettysburg and Vicksburg that took place July 1-4, 1863, will be marked next week with special programs and events sponsored by the Minnesota Historical Society.
- July 1: (Lecture) “Last Full Measure: Remembering the First Minnesota at Gettysburg” with Richard Moe, Minnesota History Center, 7 p.m. Tickets are $12, $10 for MHS members.
- July 2: (Live Music) “9 Nights of Music: Century Brass Band and Music of the Civil War,” Minnesota History Center, preshow at 5:30 p.m. and memorial processional at 8:30 p.m. Free.
- July 3: (Lecture) “Surviving the Civil War” with John Lundstrom, James J. Hill House, 6:30 to 9 p.m. Tickets are $12, $10 for MHS members.
- July 4: (Specialty Tour) Capitol Civil War Tour featuring a remnant of the First Minnesota Infantry flag carried at Gettysburg in 1863. Minnesota State Capitol, 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Tickets are $9 for adults, $8 seniors and college students, $6 children ages 6 to 17; $2 discount for MHS members.
- July 4: (Family Activity) Gettysburg/Vicksburg Anniversary Family Day with music, dance, crafts, Civil War lecture, 1860s fashion show, an ice cream social and more. Plus, meet Gen. Ulysses S. Grant. Minnesota History Center, Noon to 4 p.m.
The History Center’s “Minnesota and the Civil War” exhibit runs through Sept. 8. Admission is $11 adults; $9 seniors (65+); $9 college students (valid ID); $6 children ages 6-17; free to the public Tuesdays from 5 to 8 p.m.