Mayors from up and down the mighty Mississippi River will gather in St. Cloud June 27 and 28 to talk about ways to make the river more sustainable.
The mayors, part of the Mississippi River Cities and Towns Initiative, are holding their second annual organizational meeting. In addition to their discussions on keeping the river safe and healthy, and on its transportation significance, they plan to take an excursion to the headwaters at Lake Itasca.
Among the mayors scheduled to attend are:
- David Kleis, St. Cloud, host (co-chair)
- Francis Slay, St. Louis (co-chair)
- Rita Albrecht, Bemidji
- Larry Brown, Natchez, Miss.
- Roy Buol, Dubuque, Iowa
- Hyram Copeland, Vidalia, La.
- Bill Gluba, Davenport, Iowa
- Brad Gunderson, Sauk Falls, Minn.
- Mark Huber, Prescott, Wis.
- David Lattus, Hickman, Ky.
- Darrel Olson, Baxter, Minn.
- Joe Perske, Sartell, Minn.
- Harry Rediger, Cape Girardeau, Mo.
- Jo Anne Smiley, Clarksville, Mo.
- Tom Thompson, Grafton, Ill.
- Cathy VanRisseghem, Little Falls, Minn.
- Mark Vulich, Clinton, Iowa
- A.C. Wharton, Memphis, Tenn.