Twin Cities Gun Owners & Carry Forum cancels plan to display guns at Open Streets family event

A Twin Cities pro-gun forum has canceled its plans to attend a Minneapolis neighborhood community Open Streets celebration Sunday.

Earlier, the Twin Cities Gun Owners & Carry Forum on Facebook had invited its members from around the Twin Cities to show up at the Lyndale Avenue South neighborhood event, and some said they’d openly display their legally carried guns.

After some publicity and backlash from the neighborhood organizers, some gun forum members said they’d show up but not openly display their guns.

But this morning, group organizers posted this on their Facebook page:

All apologies, but out of concern for the safety of the members of this page, in good conscience this meet up is being canceled.

The anti-gun zealots have proven their intolerance and their propensity to violent thought and wanting harm to come to us, and based on comments made by them on this page and elsewhere it’s the only responsible thing to do.

We must continue on our mission of moving forward in a positive direction, and that would be hampered by proceeding with this meet up.

I’m sure some of you may disagree, but let’s save our energy for things that matter. Thanks for understanding.

Sunday’s Open Streets Minneapolis event runs from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.on Lyndale Avenue South, from 22nd Street West to 42nd Street West. It is the first of four similar events planned in the city during the summer. Its goal is “to promote healthy living, local businesses, sustainable transportation and civic pride in Minneapolis.”

Says the Open Streets group:

“On four different major Minneapolis streets, we shut down traffic for a day so that residents can gather, get some exercise, participate in spontaneous play activities, and get to know one another.

“We hope you’ll join us this year in your own neighborhood, and enjoy it from a different perspective. Come wander the Open Streets and have some fun! You can even bring your dog.”

Some of the gun owners who’d planned to attend the Open Streets event with their guns expressed concern about canceling. Wrote one on the FB page:

I would say now that we lost this one. This is why we need to keep going to these events, but not advertise on public forums. We need to keep the pressure up on these (in)tollerant groups that pose as being tollerant and accepting of ALL people.

I find the desicion to cancel this meetup very disturbing and is endemic of the lost will to stand and fight by the American people. THIS is why the left is winning.

1. Submitted by David Frenkel on 06/20/2013 - 11:15 am.

Guns are not toys

I visit a number of military installations every year and being around guns handled by well trained service members does not bother me. What bothers me are civilians with weapons who have poor training, the condition of the guns may be questionable and they are around children.
    As an editorial in this mornings StarTribune pointed out guns are the leading cause of children dying in the US. Guns are not toys, leave them locked up at home and enjoy Open Streets.

• Submitted by Steve Rose on 06/22/2013 - 08:40 am.

“guns are the leading cause of children dying in the US.”

According to this source, the leading cause of death for children in the range of 0-19 years is natural causes, a mortality rate (per 100,000) of 44.1. The mortality rate for accidental deaths is 14.0; within that number is firearm accidents: 0.2. Firearm homicide: 2.7.

This oft parroted “leading cause of death” is so wrong by such a large margin that everything else stated with this bogus claim is reduced to “blah-blah-blah”.

• Submitted by Chuck Drivel on 07/07/2013 - 10:20 pm.

child deaths

There have been at least 410 child gun deaths since Newtown, most accidental. And that doesn’t even include the kids who were shot and survived. That’s way too many and anyone who thinks that number is low or an acceptable statistic is quite selfish and quite soulless. The adults in charge of these victims or their shooters probably referred to themselves prior to the shootings as responsible law abiding gun owners. Parents lock their guns in desk drawers or keyed/combination safes, hide them in the back of closet shelves, store them in night table drawers, etc, and tell their kids to stay away. Kids have and will get to those guns no matter how their parents train them to stay away. We see gun owners failing at this all the time. Unless the guns are locked away in safes only accessible by parents & if guns can only be fired by specified people (ie, fingerprint tech for both) their irresponsiblity will continue to get kids killed.

2/3 of all gun deaths are accidents/suicides making gun owner irrespoonsibilty far more dangerous and much more prevalent that gun homocide. Living with gun owners is far more dangerous for kids than criminals. Most non-gun owning parents know this and know that their children are at risk any time they enter a home with a gun. That’s why it is so important to ask if there’s a gun in the home before leaving your kid at a party, a sleepover, a playdate, etc.

People will point to statistics going down as if 30,000 guns deaths instead of 32,000 deaths is good enough to warrant no new gun control. Or they talk about gun deaths compared to other methods like stabbings or car accidents. I think about the child who was shot in the head this week by a stray bullet while walking with his dad to see fireworks. If that was your kid, would you be okay with calling his death acceptable because we’re doing better statistically? Not me. The number of deaths is still staggeringly high. I have a hard time understanding parents who value their rights to unfettered gun ownership over the lives of my kids, your kids and even their own kids.

To target shoot, you don’t need to shoot bullets, but can use non lethal projectiles & other technologies. Also, a new tech was just released to the public that allows even a novice shooter to accurately hit a target 3- 4 football fields away. Grandmom at 90 years old can shoot as accurately now as a military trained marksman with just a few minutes of training. Much like how digital cameras replaced 35mm, these new laser targeting guns will eventually make target shooting a nostaligic pastime. If we can target shoot for fun with non-lethal methods, that leaves guns with lethal ammo for killing or injuring animals and people. Anyone who craves the power that guns convey are going to desire guns & will fight to protect their unfettered access to them even when they know that people are being killed by the thousands each year. All of the needless deaths will not make an impact on the opinions of those who don’t care because they devalue the lives of others or have issues that make them incapable of understanding the sacred value of life. What they crave will always be more valuable to them than the lives of others. Your life & the lives of your family are so much more important than my ability to shoot with high capacity clips or powerful fast shooting guns. Your ability to live without being shot means more to me than my owning an inanimate object. You wont find me accidently killing your child because I must give in to my desires to have the power of God, the power over life and death.

• Submitted by Steve Rose on 07/09/2013 - 08:25 am.

“quite selfish and quite soulless”

Cheryl, if you can’t effectively attack the message, attack the messenger.

Are guns causing suicides? The completed suicide rate in Japan is approximately twice that of the USA, but rarely is a gun used. Take away the gun in Japan, and the suicide rate does not change, at all. It seems reasonable that if you took away the gun in the USA, people would take up suicide methods popular in Japan. Common suicide methods include jumping in front of trains, leaping off bridges and buildings, hanging, and drug overdoses. One of the newer innovations is the use household products to produce hydrogen sulfide gas. This suicide method puts others at risks, including hospital personnel. People intent on killing themselves will be successful; the data from Japan supports that assertion.

“If that was your kid, would you be okay with calling his death acceptable because we’re doing better statistically? ” Are you a parent? If so, I am interested to learn what cause of death you would find acceptable for your child.

2. Submitted by Robert Langford on 06/20/2013 - 11:19 am.

Gun carriers

I suspect that the people who can and are interested will conceal and carry to the event, even though their demonstration is called off. I also suspect that they will not learn how to spell before the event. Shouldn’t we all be happy that they will be there to protect us from the bad men with guns?

3. Submitted by Ginny Martin on 06/20/2013 - 11:57 am.

Ginny

This is an amazing statement that “we lost this one.” Just what did you lose?
    Seems to me these people have been winning and winning for years. We are the ones who have lost and have been losing for years. We have been losing our lives–especially children’s lives. We have lost any sense of safety when we go to church, school, the movies, a political rally–we never know when some nut with a gun might show up and kill people. That’s what we are “intollerant” of. We accept you; just leave your guns at home–and locked up and kept safely away from children.

4. Submitted by chuck holtman on 06/20/2013 - 12:57 pm.

The methods of the open carry folks

Are all about intimidation and the New Authoritarianism. It is pure projection to blame the cancellation of the planned display on the “zealotry” and “propensity for violence” of folks who don’t want their kids around fearful people randomly carrying guns and don’t want the effort to build community across disparate groups of strangers derailed by those who prefer to view others not like themselves thru a gun sight.

5. Submitted by Richard Molby on 06/20/2013 - 01:37 pm.

Intollerance

“We need to keep the pressure up on these (in)tollerant groups that pose as being tollerant and accepting of ALL people.”

Um, being tolerant of people is one thing. Being tolerant of ideas that I find repugnant is something else entirely. That said, even if these folks wanted to show up an pass out literature about their cause, then go right ahead. It’s when they actually want to bring their “scared little boy” deadly toys, that’s when it is unacceptable.

6. Submitted by Tony Dodge on 06/20/2013 - 01:57 pm.

Bring Your Megaphones

This is an old NRA tactic.
    They will be there.
    The NRA “tool” will say “gee, I canceled the meet-up…”.
    Bring your megaphones.

7. Submitted by John Ferman on 06/20/2013 - 02:40 pm.

Twin City Gun Rights FB Page

A very good crossection of the attitudes of the followers can be read on their FB forum. My summary understanding of that crossection (subject to amendment by others) is that the purpose of the Lyndale Ave neighborhood event is a restriction on their gun rights by a bunch of anti’s, zealot’s, and other pegoratives. I could go on but won’t.

8. Submitted by Richard Callahan on 06/20/2013 - 08:47 pm.

So childish

When I was about 10, I used to walk around the neighborhood packing my gun and holster. My gun wasn’t real, but I suspect the motivations these gun zealots have to parade around with their guns is about the same. Come on guys, it’s time to grow up.

9. Submitted by Todd Hintz on 06/21/2013 - 06:44 am.

Guns Guns Guns

I’m a gun owner and I find the proposal to bring firearms to the open street event repugnant. There is a time and a place to press for your rights, but a community event with a lot of kids around isn’t one of them. The gun rights advocates continue to be tone deaf to society at large and that’s the main reason why they aren’t getting their message out there and are losing the public relations battle. They need to wise up and find a better way to get their point across.

10. Submitted by Steven Bailey on 06/21/2013 - 08:51 am.

The Gun Culture

I grew up hunting and many of my relatives are hunters. I don’t get the gun worship culture. What sad little lives these people lead.

11. Submitted by Susanne Wissink on 06/21/2013 - 12:22 pm.

I looked up the group’s mission on their facebook page. “A resource and forum for gun owners and those who wish to learn more about guns, self-defense, 2nd Amendment issues, right-to-carry laws and related news.”

I can understand the group’s desire to attend the event to provide education and to dispel stereotypes of gun owners as fanatical and uncompromising in pursuit of their political ideals. Do I need to point out that loudly proclaiming you intend to carry guns because it is your legal right only encourages this stereotype? Saying you need to protect yourself perpetuates the notion that you are driven to your actions by irrational fear. I don’t question your right to carry guns to this event; only your judgement. If you want to provide education and dispel stereotypes attend this event. Be visible. Be neighborly. If you want to have a conversation, then wear a button or logo shirt so we can find you, but leave your gun at home.

The message that the group is canceling the meet-up “out of concern for the safety of the members of this page” is silly. Why not just say that you realized organizing a demonstration of your legal rights in this particular forum was not thought through thoroughly and that you will pick a more appropriate venue next time? I could respect that.

12. Submitted by Lance Groth on 06/21/2013 - 01:11 pm.

Overcompensation

I think many in the gun culture feel powerless about many aspects of their lives. Whether it’s politics, or culture, or having no money (how many times have we heard about guys living in mobile homes who spend all their money on their private arsenal), or changing demographics, or whatever it might be, things are not going their way and the world is not dancing to their tune, but at least they can by-God feel powerful when they’re packing heat. Psychologically understandable, at least, if somewhat maladaptive.

13. Submitted by Kelly Guncheon on 06/21/2013 - 02:07 pm.

“Training” is no panacea

I walked out of a grocery store one morning, and there was a middle-aged women lying on the sidewalk, with her 8-year-old daughter standing over her, hysterical because she thought her mother was dying. As it turns out, the mother had tripped on a sidewalk edge and fallen, breaking her glasses, which left a 2-inch gash above her eyebrow which was bleeding profusely onto the sidewalk beneath her head.

After checking the situation out, I quickly ran into the store to grab a roll of paper towels from a display rack, then ran out to attend to her. She initially said she was OK, but then said she as feeling nauseous, so I called 911.

As I was kneeling over her to wait for the ambulance, I gave her my coat to keep warm and talked to her daughter to calm her down. Her husband then came out of the store and knelt beside me. People walked by and stared, but one man in particular strolled over. He was 50-something, somewhat disheveled, but seemingly nice. He asked what had happened, and I had explained that the woman had tripped and fallen and had a small but on her forehead, but because she was feeling a little queasy, we were keeping her on the ground until an ambulance arrived.

Despite that description of the injury and the fact that we were having a normal conversation with the woman, the man asked, “Does she need CPR? I have CPR training.” I didn’t know what to say but “No.”

First, she clearly didn’t need CPR because she was conscious and conversant. More importantly, there was no way I’d let the guy offer any medical assistance if he thought that because he learned how to do CPR, he was qualified to do it. A huge part of being qualified is to know when and when not to use the technique. He clearly had no discernment when if came to determining the need for CPR.

I raise this because people think that “trained” gun owners” are as capable of using their weapons as trained military or police officers are. Knowing how to fire a gun is only part–and not the most important part–of gun ownership. Having that knowledge PLUS the mindset, analytical skills, maturity, and temperament to use the gun judiciously. When I see the lack of critical analysis posed by the radical gun-rights folks who populate the blogs and media with hyperbolic and hysterical opinions, I’m all the more frightened of what harm they could cause.

Many gun owners agree that this type of demonstration does nothing to advocate for responsible gun use, and that free access to and use of firearms is the last thing this society needs. As much as I respect their ownership and use of weapons for hunting, I respect their willingness to separate the issues.

• Submitted by Todd Hintz on 06/21/2013 - 04:20 pm.

Gun Rights

It seems that a lot of gun rights advocates aren’t even thinking in terms of “I’ve had gun training, therefor I’m a trained professional.” I get the impression that for a lot of people it begins and ends with “this is a right and I’m exercising that right.” No more greater thought goes into the process than what they would choose to have for dinner tonight.

The people who put more thought into it take the position that guns are necessary to keep the government in line. They feel that an armed citizenship will be a counter to our armed forces in case of an insurrection. Ignoring for a moment the issue of treason, anyone with an ounce of common sense can see that Joe Sixpack with a deer hunting rifle is not going to be a viable alternative to your local SWAT team, let alone the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard and all their advanced training and weapons systems. Heck, a Boy Scout troop could take out your average pack of hunters without even breaking a sweat.

Mr. Black did a whole series on the Second Amendment and gun rights a few months ago. If someone really wants to delve into the issue that would be the place to go.

14. Submitted by Chris Farmer-Lies on 06/24/2013 - 11:07 am.

Laughable. The safety of their members was never in danger. I attended the Open Streets event and never felt unsafe. The presence of guns would only endanger others.