The year-long focus in Minneapolis on the book “A Choice of Weapons,” by Gordon Parks, continues with several events focused on the author’s photography.
The book by Parks was chosen this year for Minneapolis One Read, which suggests a book that all residents can read to provide common ground for a community discussion.
Some programs this month will look at Parks’ photography, one of his many artistic pursuits.
An exhibit — including 30 of Parks’ photos, on loan from the Gordon Parks Foundation — will run Oct. 24 through June 8 at the Mill City Museum. An opening reception and panel discussion will be held Oct. 24 at the museum.
Related photography events coming up include:
- Oct. 11: Photography workshop with Jamel Shabazz, 3:30 to 5:30 p.m., Juxtaposition Arts, 2007 Emerson Ave. N., Minneapolis. RSVP to email@example.com or call 612-673-2509.
- Oct. 24: Panel discussion and exhibit opening reception, 7 p.m., Mill City Museum. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 612-673-2509.
- Oct. 24 to Dec. 1, 2013: Companion exhibit on display at Juxtaposition Arts.
- December to June: Minneapolis high school students will serve as docents, leading school groups through the exhibit. RSVP for a free tour to email@example.com or call 612-673-2509.
- Nov. 7: Exhibit opening reception and artist talk with Jamel Shabazz, 5 to 7 p.m., Juxtaposition Arts. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org