Minnesota employers added 9,500 jobs in December, and the November numbers were revised upwards by 1,700, bringing the state’s job growth to 45,900 in 2013, state officials said Thursday.
The state’s unemployment rate remained at 4.6% in December; the national rate is 6.7%.
DEED Commissioner Katie Clark Sieben said of the numbers: “Eleven out of 12 major industrial sectors gained jobs last year, and leading indicators point to continued growth in 2014.”
In December, job gains came in these sectors:
- Trade, transportation and utilities, 4,600 new jobs
- Government, up 2,600
- Manufacturing, up 1,700
- Education and health services, up 1,200
- Professional and business services, up 1,000
- Construction, up 400
- Logging and mining, up 100
Losing jobs in December were:
- Leisure and hospitality, down 800
- Other services, down 700
- Financial activities, down 500
- Information, down 100.