It may be hard to think about hopping on a bicycle in the midst of a monsoon, but the rain will end, and it might be a relief to attend an open house on Hennepin County’s updated bike plan Wednesday, May 7 and Thursday, May 8.
The county says it will provide more information at the open houses on the master plan, designed to make biking safer and easier.
The open houses are:
- May 7 at Minnetonka Community Center (at City Hall) 4:30-7:30 p.m.
- May 8 at Minneapolis Central Library (Doty Board Room), 4:30-7:30 p.m.
The goals of the plan:
- FACILITIES. Build a county bicycle system that allows bicyclists of varying skill to safely, efficiently, and comfortably connect to and between all significant destinations within the county.
- BICYCLE SYSTEM INTEGRATION. Seamlessly integrate the county bicycle system with other transportation systems.
- SAFETY AND COMFORT. Design and construct a safe and comfortable county bicycling system.
- SUSTAINABILITY. As broader investment priorities are set, implement bicycle facilities as an essential tool in realizing environmental, social and economic sustainability.
- MAINTENANCE. Ensure the county bicycle system receives ongoing, year-round maintenance.
- RIDERSHIP. Raise public awareness that the bicycle is a viable travel mode – for daily commuting needs, for health and exercise benefits, and as a means of outdoor recreation.