While the Minnesota Legislature is on break for the Easter/Passover holidays, politicians are using the time to get the word out around the state.
While legislators will see (and hear from) constituents at stores, on the street and in houses of worship, there are some organized political tours underway, too.
Republican U.S. Senate candidate Mike McFadden, who hopes to get the party nod to take on Sen. Al Franken, is out today on a whirlwind southern Minnesota swing. He’s been criticized for failing to take specific policy stands in recent appearance, and the stops on this tour tend to be meet-and-greet appearances with supporters, rather than gtive-and-take sessions with reporters or skeptics.
McFadden’s schedule today:
- 7 a.m.; Marshall: speaks with delegates at meet-and-greet at Mike’s Café, 1501 East College Drive
- 11:30 a.m.; Mankato: meets with delegates at meet-and-greet at Wagon Wheel Café, 609 S. Front Street
- 1:30 p.m.; Fairmont: tours Culligan Water Conditioning, 1030 N State St.
- 4:30 p.m.; Austin: meets with delegates at meet-and-greet at the Tendermaid Restaurant, 217 4th Ave. NE
- 6:30 p.m., Rochester: attending the Rochester Tax Rally at the Eagles Club, 917 15th Ave SE.
DFL House leaders are also hitting the road this week. House Speaker Paul Thissen and Erin Murphy will tout the DFL’s action so far this session and highlight things to come, like the bonding bill.
- Mankato, 11 a.m.; Jobs Event (Mankato Civic Center)
- Albert Lea, 2 p.m.; Jobs Event (Fountain Lake Restoration)
- Mora/Sandstone, 10 a.m.; Jobs Event (City Hall or Hospital)
- Bemidji, 3 p.m.; Jobs Event (Bemidji State MNSCU)
- Brainerd, 10:30 a.m.; (Brainerd Lake Regional Airport)
- St. Cloud, 1 p.m.; Jobs Event St. Cloud State); 2 p.m. – Editorial Board Visit
- Willmar, 10 a.m.; Jobs Event (Ridgewater College)
- Morris, 11:30 a.m.; Jobs Event(U of M – Morris)
- Moorhead, 3 p.m.; Jobs Event (Moorhead City Hall/flood mitigation specific)
DFL Party Chair Ken Martin is on his own state-wide tour, pushing the party agenda and reminding voters of the tax relief and minimum wages changes already enacted. He’ll be joined with DFL legislators in some places, as he meets with DFL party members, newspapers and others.
- Today: Virginia, Minn., Hibbing, Grand Rapids and Bemidji
- Tuesday: Detroit Lakes, Morris, Willmar
- Wednesday: Marshall, Worthington, Fairmont, Albert Lea
- Thursday: Austin, Rochester, Winona