Absentee voting is now open in the May 13 special election for Hennepin County Commissioner in District 3.
Anne Mavity and Marion Greene are running for the board spot vacated when Gail Dorfman resigned to become Director of St. Stephens Human Services.
Greene and Mavity were the top two vote-getters in a primary election last month in the district that includes St. Louis Park and southwest and downtown Minneapolis.
Mavity, a St. Louis Park council member, is supported by Dorfman, who was St. Louis Park mayor before serving on the board. Greene, from Minneapolis, has support from current Hennepin County Commissioner Linda Higgins, who represents north and northeast Minneapolis, Golden Valley, Medicine Lake, southeast Plymouth, and St. Anthony.
Absentee ballots can be filed if you are unable to vote at your precinct on election day because:
- You are absent from your precinct
- You have an illness or disability
- You are serving as an election judge in another precinct
- You are prevented because of a religious discipline or religious holiday or observance
- You are prevented by an eligible emergency declared by the governor or quarantine declared by the state or federal government