A white powder found in an envelope sent to Gov. Mark Dayton’s residence June 2 was not toxic or dangerous.
Discovery of the powder, found in an envelope with a letter that was non-threatening, caused quite a kerfuffle at the residence on St. Paul’s Summit Avenue, with haz-mat experts converging on the scene. The governor was not nearby when it was opened, but two staff members were quarantined and decontaminated as a precaution.
At the time, officials said the powder did not appear toxic, and further tests this week show the substance was benign, although the sample was too small to determine its exact makeup, the state Health Department said.