Feds add 24 Minnesota counties to flood disaster list; 32 now eligible for aid

Twenty four Minnesota counties affected by the June storms and subsequent flooding have been added to the federal disaster aid list, making 32 of the state’s 87 counties eligible for the funding.

Six more counties are still under review.

The counties covered by the federal disaster declaration are eligible for 75 percent federal funding for emergency work and repair of storm damaged facilities. The state will pay the remaining 25 percent.

The kinds of things that qualify for funding include debris removal, emergency services related to the disaster and repair or replacement of damaged public facilities such as roads, bridges, buildings, utilities and recreation areas, state officials said.

Earlier, these counties had been approved:

Chippewa, Freeborn, Jackson, Murray, Nobles, Pipestone, Renville and Rock counties.

The latest additions are:

Beltrami, Blue Earth, Brown, Carver, Dodge, Faribault, Koochiching, Lac Qui Parle, Lake of the Woods, Le Sueur, Marshall, Martin, McLeod, Nicollet, Redwood, Rice, Roseau, Scott, Sibley, Steele, Todd, Wadena, Waseca, and Yellow Medicine counties and the tribal governments of the Red Lake Band of Chippewa and Prairie Island Indian Community.

And still pending review by FEMA are:

Dakota, Hennepin, Lyon, Ramsey, Watonwan, and Wright counties.

You can also learn about all our free newsletter options.

No comments yet

Leave a Reply