Five gubernatorial debates have been scheduled between DFL Gov. Mark Dayton and his Republican challenger Jeff Johnson in the weeks leading up to the Nov. 4 election.
An agreement was reached after much jabbing and ducking: Johnson, like most challengers wanted more debates, while incumbent Dayton was in no hurry to engage.
Don Davis of the Fargo Forum says Johnson wanted at least 12 debates, while Dayton had said he’d agree to six. They could only agree on the five, he said:
- Oct. 1 in Rochester, sponsored by the Coalition of Greater Minnesota Cities, Post Bulletin of Rochester and the local chamber of commerce
- Oct. 8 debate at the Minnesota State University Moorhead’s Hansen Theatre, sponsored by the Forum News Service
- Oct. 14, in Duluth, sponsored by the Duluth News Tribune and the local chamber of commerce
- Oct. 19, in St. Paul, with Fox 9 television
- Oct. 31, St. Paul, with Twin Cities Public Television