The Forbes annual ranking of the wealthiest Americans includes five Minnesotans, the same five as last year.
Everyone on the list is at least a billionaire, and more than 100 billionaires didn’t even get to the top 400, the magazine says.
Bill Gates topped the list, with his Microsoft money helping raise his net worth of $81 billion. Warren Buffett is second with $67 billion.
The Minnesota mega-rich on the net worth list are:
- 133: Whitney MacMillan — Part owner of Cargill, Inc., $3.8 billion
- 302: Stanley Hubbard — CEO of Hubbard Broadcasting. $2.1 billion
- 368: Glen Taylor — Owner of Taylor Corp., the Timberwolves and Lynx, and the Star Tribune. $1.7 billion
- 383: Marilyn Carlson Nelson — Part owner of Carlson Inc., $1.6 billion
- 383: Barbara Carlson Gage — Part owner of Carlson Inc.$1.6 billion
Says Forbes: last year was good for the billionaires:
An impressive 303 of the 400 saw the value of their fortunes rise compared to a year ago. Only 36 people from last year’s list had lower net worths this year. Twenty-six people fell off the list; another six people died.