A look at Minnesota’s continuing economic prosperity, through the lens of post-secondary education and workforce development, is happening today in St. Paul.
The North Star Summit, with state legislators and higher education leaders, is meeting at the History Center today. It’s called “Mapping Economic Prosperity for Minnesota.”
Organizers say there are no statewide goals for post-secondary attainment, and wonder: “How do we know if we are meeting our objectives, via our post-secondary institutions or through our workforce development programs, if we do now know what we are trying to accomplish?”
They say the summit will pose questions to leaders, and present data and analyses from experts, with a goal to formulate goals to meet forecasted economic and workforce needs. They hope to develop proposals for the 2015 legislative session.
The agenda for today’s summit:
- Introductory Remarks: Steve Elliott, Executive Director of the MN Historical Society
- Welcome: Legislative Leaders & Commissioner of the Minnesota Office of Higher Education
- Interactive Overview: Stacy Becker, Consultant, Citizens League
- Minnesota’s Changing Demographics: Susan Brower, Minnesota State Demographer
- Minnesota’s Labor Force: Steve Hine, Director of Labor Market Information Office at DEED
- Higher Education in Minnesota: Larry Isaak, President of Midwestern Higher Education Compact
- Racial Equity in Minnesota: Jennifer Godinez, Associate Director at the Minnesota Minority Education Partnership
- Interactive Polling: Stacy Becker
- Round Table Discussion: Nate Garvis, Co-Founder of Studio E, with Sen. Terri Bonoff, Sen. Jeremy Miller, Rep. Bud Nornes and Rep. Carlos Mariani
- Interactive Group Discussion: Stacy Becker