Nonprofit, nonpartisan journalism. Supported by readers.

Donate
Topics

Mall of America drops restitution demands for ‘Black Lives Matter’ protest

The mall won’t seek lost revenue from the Dec. 20., 2014 protest, though the Bloomington City Attorney is continuing to press charges against 11 protesters.

The Black Lives Matter group that protested at the Mall of America in December says mall officials are no longer seeking restitution for lost revenue  due to the protest.

Eleven protest leaders were arrested Dec. 20 for trespassing, and a section of the mall was shut down during the event. Previously, the mall had said it would seek restitution for the lost revenue from the protesters, but now won’t, the group said.

The Black Lives Matter Minneapolis group said in a statement today that the mall should work to persuade the Bloomington City Attorney to drop the criminal charges, too:

“Mall of America’s decision to not seek restitution is just a step in the right direction, we will keep the pressure on until all charges are dropped against all alleged organizers and arrestees from peaceful gathering on Dec. 20 at the Mall of America. Mall of America has considerable influence in the City of Bloomington and in Sandra Johnson’s office. This is an opportunity for the Mall of America to use their influence in the service of racial justice and equity by demanding Sandra Johnson drop all charges.”

Article continues after advertisement

The next court date for the protesters is May 1.

The Black Lives Matter group has called for a boycott of the mall until the charges are dropped.