Memorial Day, the unofficial start of summer, is the day set aside to honor those who’ve died in active military service.
Many events have been scheduled around the state to remember those who gave their lives. On Monday, there will be a parade and ceremony at the Fort Snelling Cemetery, with speakers, music and a display of military vehicles. The parade is at 9:30 a.m.; the program follows at 10 a.m.
Some official events from the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs include a Sunday ceremony at the Minnesota State Veterans Cemetery in Little Falls, 1:30 p.m.
Minnesota Veterans Homes:
- Fergus Falls, Monday, 2 p.m.
- Hastings, Monday, 9 apa.m.
- Luverne, May 30, 2:30 p.m.
- Minneapolis, Monday, 1:30 p.m.
- Silver Bay, Monday, 10:30 a.m.
Some other area events:
- Afton, Monday, 11:15 a.m., Evergreen Community Cemetery, just west of Memorial Lutheran Church on County Road 18.
- Anoka, Monday, 10 a.m., Anoka Veterans Memorial, Forest Hills Cemetery, West Main St & Highway 10
- Bayport, Monday, 8:30 a.m., American Legion parade, starting at Minnesota 95 and Central Avenue Cottage Grove: Monday, 1 p.m., Veterans Memorial outside City Hall, 12800 Ravine Parkway S.
- Forest Lake, Monday, 9 a.m., Lakeside Memorial Park, 56 E. Broadway Av.
- Fort Snelling, Sunday, 11 a.m., Remembrance Service, Fort Snelling Veterans Memorial Chapel
- Glencoe, Monday, 10 a.m., GSL High School Auditorium
- Lafayette, Monday, 10 a.m., Downtown City Park, or Community Center, if rain
- Marine on St. Croix Monday, noon, Veterans Campground on Big Marine Lake, 11300 180th St. N.
- Monticello, Monday, morning memorial services at local cemeteries and 11:30 a.m. parade
- Rosemount, Monday, 8:45 a.m., Central Park, 2893 145th St. W.
- Rothsay, Monday, 10 a.m. Community Center, 115 2nd St. SW.
- St. Cloud, Monday, 10:30 a.m. parade then 11 a.m. ceremony, 4801 Veterans Dr.
- St. Paul, Monday, 9 a.m., Elmhurst Cemetery, 1510 N. Dale St.
- St. Paul, Monday, 11 a.m., Forest Lawn Memorial Park, 1800 Edgerton St.
- St. Paul, Monday, 10 a.m., Riverview Cemetery, 340 E. Annapolis St.
- St. Paul, Monday, 7 p.m. Como Park Pavilion, 1360 N. Lexington Parkway
- South St. Paul, Monday, 9:30 a.m. Parade, Memorial service at 10:15 a.m. at the cemetery
- State Capitol Grounds: Monday, 1 p.m., Korean War Veterans Memorial
- State Capitol Grounds: Monday, 9:30 a.m., Minnesota Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
- Stillwater, Monday, 11 a.m., Upper Riverview Parking lot, 3rd St. S. and Pine St. W.
- Wheaton, Monday, 11 a.m. American Legion, Hwy. 75
- White Bear Lake, Monday, 2 p.m., 4496 Lake Av. S
- Woodbury, Monday, 11 a.m., City Hall Campus, Valley Creek Road and Radio Drive.
Sen. Amy Klobuchar will speak at several Monday events:
- 10 a.m., Fort Snelling National Cemetery
- 2 p.m., POW Award Ceremony, Stewart, Minn., American Legion
- 3:30 p.m., Flag Presentation, Olivia, Minn., American Legion