The foundation is urging people to use the green bikes on June 27 in an attempt to break the single day record for Nice Ride trips. They hope to surpass the record of 4,486 trips, set on July 26, 2014.
And for each ride in the Twin Cities on Saturday, the foundation will donate $1 to Free Bikes 4 Kidz, a local nonprofit that provides bikes for kids in need across the Twin Cities.
The Foundation and Nice Ride also will provide complimentary helmets and 24-hour passes from 9 a.m. to noon at six Minneapolis stations:
- Loring Park Station (north side near Harmon Place)
- 100 Main Station (St. Anthony Main)
- Theodore Wirth Beach (Glenwood Ave.)
- Midtown Greenway & 5th Ave. S.
- Lake St. & Knox Ave. S.
- Minneapolis Farmers Market (Border Ave. and 3rd Ave. N.)
Sandra Vargas, president and CEO of The Minneapolis Foundation, said in a statement:
“I can’t think of a better way to celebrate our 100th birthday than by inviting everyone in the community to get outside and enjoy our beautiful city.”