Members of a Legislative Working Group on Mille Lacs have been appointed to look into the walleye problem on the lake. The first meeting is today.
Legislative leaders and Gov. Mark Dayton appointed the members. The meeting today comes as the DNR has ended walleye fishing on the lake for the season and the governor is trying to garner support for a special session of the Legislature to provide relief to affected businesses.
The meeting today is at 3 p.m. in the State Office Building in the Capitol complex.
Members appointed by House Speaker Kurt Daudt and Senate Majority Leader Tom Bakk:
- State Rep. Tom Hackbarth (Co-Chair)
- Rep. Denny McNamara
- Rep. Dale Lueck
- Rep. Sondra Erickson
- Rep. Rick Hansen
- Rep. John Persell
- State Sen. David Tomassoni (Co-Chair)
- Sen. John Marty
- Sen. Rod Skoe
- Sen. Tom Saxhaug
- Sen. David Brown
- Sen. Carrie Ruud
- Melanie Benjamin, Chief Executive of the Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe
- Karen McQuoid, member of Mille Lacs Area Tourism Council
Members appointed by the governor:
- Revenue Commissioner Cynthia Bauerly
- Management & Budget Commissioner Myron Frans
- DEED Commissioner Katie Clark Sieben
- DNR Commissioner Tom Landwehr
- John Edman, Director of Explore Minnesota