Seven Minnesota schools — two metro and five in Greater Minnesota — are on this year’s National Blue Ribbon list.
U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan today announced the list, which is based on overall academic excellence or progress in closing achievement gaps.
The Minnesota schools are:
- Friedell Middle School, Rochester Public School District
- Mahtomedi Senior High School, Mahtomedi Public School District
- Monroe Elementary School, Mankato Public School District
- Plainview-Elgin-Millville 4-6 School, Plainview-Elgin-Millville Community Schools
- Sleepy Eye Elementary School, Sleepy Eye Public School District
- Washington-Kosciusko Elementary School, Winona Area Public School District
- Yinghua Academy, Minneapolis
Nationally, there are 285 public and 50 private schools on the list; there will be a recognition ceremony in Washington, D.C., in November.