MinnPost introduces new weather report with Paul Douglas

Paul Douglas

In partnership with Conservation Minnesota, MinnPost.com today introduces a new weather report, featuring a daily essay by Paul Douglas.

Paul, well known as the former meteorologist for WCCO-TV whose essays used to appear in the Star Tribune, now runs a new company called Weather Nation. He will appear on MinnPost.com Monday through Friday. Just click on the headline in our weather widget, and it will take you to his latest essay.

For a full weather report, including videos covering today’s weather, a weekend forecast and more, click on the logo of Conservation Minnesota, MinnPost’s new weather partner.

We are happy to be working with Conservation Minnesota, a bi-partisan organization that uses state-of-the-art information tools to help people make conservation decisions for their family and community.

We thank KSTP-TV, our former weather partner, and Dave Dahl, whose weekly weather videos  have been appearing on our site.

Joel Kramer is CEO and editor of MinnPost.com.

1. Submitted by Aaron Landry on 04/14/2009 - 10:48 am.

Paul’s a fantastic MinnPost pickup. This is great news.

2. Submitted by david granneman on 04/14/2009 - 11:17 am.

hello all
    i guess dave dahl was not a big GLOBAL WARMING PROMOTER. now instead we get a true global warming believer. minnpost is just another liberal mothpeace

3. Submitted by Chris Johnson on 04/14/2009 - 11:36 am.

Great news, indeed. I’ve been going through Paul Douglas column withdrawal symptoms since Paul left the Star Tribune’s pages. I’ve even started reading his St. Cloud Times blog just to stave off the symptoms, so to speak. Regardless of the weather, Paul rarely fails to bring a smile to my face, and smiles are worth their weight in gold.

4. Submitted by Jenneane Jansen on 04/14/2009 - 11:53 am.

Yeah!!!!

5. Submitted by Norman Larson on 04/14/2009 - 12:10 pm.

This is marvelous. A good person, fired by WCCO-TV, and now on MinnPost.

MinnPost: Mirror, mirror on the wall, you are the “bestest” of them all.

6. Submitted by Peggy Huss on 04/14/2009 - 12:11 pm.

MinnPost just keeps getting better and better! Thanks for adding Paul Douglas.

7. Submitted by Amanda Tempel on 04/14/2009 - 01:04 pm.

Thank you MinnPost for this great collaboration. If people value this new service please make a donation to keep it going!

8. Submitted by Virginia Martin on 04/14/2009 - 01:08 pm.

I’m so glad we can hear Paul Douglas again (although he is on Almanac periodically). And read his comments. No one does weather as intelligently, knowledgeably, and with so much fun as Paul.

9. Anonymous Submitted by Anonymous on 04/14/2009 - 01:27 pm.

Paul is someone who is able to report on weather without glossing over the science, and is still able to bring it back to our daily encounters with it. A perfect fit for MinnPost in my opinion, well done!

10. Submitted by Kris Troske on 04/14/2009 - 02:28 pm.

This is excellent news. Welcome, Paul! I’m happy to be able to read your musings on our weather once more.

11. Submitted by Kelly Gunderson on 04/14/2009 - 03:22 pm.

Poor Dave Dahl, write a column on a possiblity that global warming is caused by something other than humans, and your out! I thought Dave’s column was thought provoking, but he wasn’t towing the line on how us humans are destroying the earth, so he had to go.
    And so do I, because if I am going to read all one-sided “journalism” on this website, I’ve read it all already. There is no need for me to continue to visit Minnpost.

12. Anonymous Submitted by Anonymous on 04/14/2009 - 04:28 pm.

If “liberal” means someone who believes in scientific evidence, then sign me up! I look forward to reality-based weather information offered by the inimitable Paul Douglas, along with his wit and whimsy. Another reason to support MinnPost!

13. Submitted by Melissa Hansen on 04/14/2009 - 06:23 pm.

Fantastic addition.

14. Submitted by Lu Lippold on 04/14/2009 - 06:39 pm.

Thanks for bringing back Paul Douglas! I’ve been wondering where I could get news about what’s going on with the current drought and other climate anomalies. I sure don’t get it from the meteorologists who tell us about the weather but nothing about the big picture.

15. Submitted by Meika Anderson on 04/15/2009 - 03:07 pm.

You know, Mr. Kramer, it is so blatantly obvious why you decided to make this move, ditching Dahl for Douglas, it really was the nail in the coffin for me as an occasional reader of Minnpost.
    I understand you didn’t specifically part ways with Dave Dahl just because he was supplying content that you and your cohorts ideologies don’t jibe with. It’s because Douglas runs with your crowd, and you pseudo-local media elites. So when the opportunity presented itself you welcomed YOUR weather guy into the cabal of “high quality journalism for those who care about Minnesota.”
    And that’s when my curiosity about this outfit called MinnPost ran its course.
    You are the folks that like to think you shape the discussion for the plebes across the Land of 10,000 Lakes. But you fail to see that the old model of veiled bias framed as news no longer works in Internet Age. (i.e. Strib’s current struggles with maintaining readership outside of the Kenny and Linden Hills neighborhoods) It’s obvious you’ve found the niche (left-leaning yippie urbanites), but don’t pretend you are something you aren’t.
    For all those newbies curious about MinnPost and its stated goals, this is not a news outfit of the of the 21st century internet evolution. This is a left-leaning think tank of mostly left-leaning elites once associated with the the traditional local media.
    You claim you’re trying to be different and more “thoughtful” than the Star Tribune’s antiquated model of delivering the news, but you’re really actually quite the same. The only difference is THERE IS NO ILLUSION HERE WITH MINNPOST. It’s a liberal outfit that happens to have some talented contributors, most of all who are supporters of the left-leaning ideology. You can’t hide it behind circulation numbers and Sunday ads.
    So if that’s your model and you think it will provide successful for your niche of readers, keep on keeping on. More power to you.
    But please, don’t pretend any longer. This will be my last visit to the website thanks to the addition of Paul Douglas (nothing against him a a person, just can’t stand his attempt to hide his politics within his forecasts). I wish you all luck in developing and fine tuning content for your urban DFL constituency.