Minnesota State Fair T-shirt bingo, 2016 edition

Another year, another trip to the State Fair to gawk at the wide range of printed self-expression the people of Minnesota are wearing on their chests this year. As in past years, these four all-new bingo cards have been specially created to reflect this year’s T-shirt trends at the fair, based on careful and painstaking onsite research over several hours. The outline of the state of Minnesota now acts as a FREE space in the center of the card. You will see a T-shirt with the state of Minnesota on it within two minutes of stepping foot onto the fairgrounds.

A few quick notes: I saw much fewer presidential T-shirts than I'd anticipated. The athletic outfitter du jour of 2016 is, without a doubt, Under Armour. The recent performance by Metallica at US Bank Stadium seems to have created a glut of Metallica T-shirts on the local market, and the unusually large number of Pokémon and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles T-shirts have imbued the youth of Minnesota with a distinctly mid-'90s vibe.

Print a card out and take it with you. Each category includes an illustrated example of a T-shirt that might fit in each, but your finds may look entirely different. There’s room for interpretation in some categories, but be honest with yourself. While either Tabasco or Sriracha fits in the “Hot Sauce” category, don't try to sneak an Elk River football T-shirt into the “Suburban Athletics” category. Elk River is not a suburb. It's an exurb.

Good luck!

1. Submitted by William Lindeke on 08/31/2016 - 09:25 am.

Elk River!

I was upset at first but then I googled it and Irondale HS is almost 30 miles away from Elk River HS.

So I guess you’re right!

2. Submitted by Frank Phelan on 08/31/2016 - 09:36 am.

State Fair T-shirts

Some in these parts may remember when a guy named Bob Yates was on the local air waves. Bob didn’t hide his disdain for the fair, occasionally mentioning his favorite state fair t-shirt sighting, which was overweight men wearing shirts that proclaimed “World’s Largest Source of Natural Gas”.

3. Submitted by Dimitri Drekonja on 08/31/2016 - 09:57 am.

These made my morning. Then I realized most of my t shirts are race shirts. I need to diversify…

4. Submitted by Phil Dech on 08/31/2016 - 06:38 pm.

Thanks for the annual update.

What I really appreciate about your articles here is that you do seem to actually like living here, but you are “outsider” enough to see things we natives don’t. I grew up here, moved away for about a decade, then came back, so my glasses are only half-fogged. (Okay, maybe 3/4…)

5. Submitted by Brian Simon on 08/31/2016 - 09:51 pm.

There’s a market here

These bingo cards need to be on t shirts.

6. Submitted by Andrew Caddock on 07/24/2017 - 01:04 pm.

2017 !!