A breakdown of how Minnesota got into such a mess with its driver’s license — and what’s likely to happen next.
Given the volume of work being done over email today, Minnesota’s laws on data retention for state employees — including the governor — are especially alarming to open-government advocates.
Gov. Mark Dayton often cites the clash over the BWCA when he talks about the controversial PolyMet mining project, saying the fallout could be “all that and worse.”
A special election will determine who represents Minnesota’s largest state House district — a contest that’s drawn candidates of all political stripes.
“The reality is some of the stuff that was agreed to in those final hours really flies in the face of our values as DFLers,” Martin said in an interview with MinnPost.
Hillary Clinton has the support of 35 percent of likely voters, with 49 percent saying they disapprove of her. Gov. Mark Dayton, on the other hand, has a 51 percent approval rating.
The one-day session stretched from Friday morning into early Saturday and averts a partial government shutdown. It also exposed some serious rifts among Democrats.
Not every detail is settled on what lawmakers will address in a special session, but leaders say they’re close. Here’s where the outstanding issues currently stand.
The agreement would leave “significant” money on the bottom line to eventually work out a deal on two thornier issues: transportation funding and tax cuts. The governor wants more money for education.
Meanwhile, back at the Capitol, a lack of progress has caused some lawmakers to raise the specter of an overtime session this year.
Though the meeting was mostly focused on recruiting volunteers, it wasn’t without its applause moments.
A three-hour meeting Monday evening involving the governor and legislative leaders ended abruptly — and without any progress.
Despite pushback from Republicans, industry and ag groups, conservationists say Dayton has positioned himself to be the most effective governor on environmental issues in 40 years.
Republicans estimate that the tax cut would apply to about 2 million Minnesotans, and save a middle-clase family of four about $500 over two years.
The speech contained few surprises, but there were a handful of things to glean from the governor’s fifth State of the State address.
Dayton’s comments on Tuesday continued a unique dynamic at the Capitol: Instead of moving toward common ground, the two parties seem to be diverging.
In the long line of political fights, Dayton versus Bakk is a relatively tame affair. Here, the five biggest Gopher State political battles of the past 25 years.
In the five years Dayton and Bakk have held their respective positions as governor and Senate majority leader, the two have developed a regular habit of butting heads.
Legislators may not like it, but Dayton is hardly the first governor whose policy goals took on a personal touch after being unburdened from re-election concerns.
Once a little-known DFL insider, Smith is poised to become one of the most active lieutenant governors in state history — as well as a possible successor to her boss.