Looking to make a meaningful impact in your community? Want to improve your understanding of the social injustices around you every day? Interested in developing ties with the diverse community of established and emerging social justice leaders in Minnesota?
Come learn about the Social Justice Leadership Institute this Thursday evening at Common Roots Cafe!
The Social Justice Leadership Institute is a nine-month discovery process during which participants will work with each other to both understand and address social injustice, engage in a group fundraising project, and research and give the funds raised to local social justice causes.
At the end of nine months, each participant will leave with his/her own thoughtfully crafted framework for supporting and actively engaging with the social justice movement in Minnesota!
Activities will include:
– Guest speakers from the philanthropic community
– Education on social justice history
– Instruction in the dynamics of race/class/power/privilege, social justice strategy, resource pooling and community grant-making
– Site visits to local social justice nonprofits
– Sharing personal stories to develop a group dynamic and learn from and about cohort members
– Group discussions framed to better understand our various roles in addressing social justice
– A group fundraising and grant-making process through which the group will learn more about why people give and the beneficiaries who inspire them
– Opportunities to interact with established Twin Cities leaders and learn about their social justice journeys
The Social Justice Leadership Institute is looking for a group of approximately 25 emerging Twin Cities leaders from diverse backgrounds who are interested in investing themselves in the community to better understand local injustices and bring about transformative change.
Participants are asked to commit to a total of nine meetings — an overnight retreat in September, followed by monthly meetings (including dinner) on the last Thursday of the month from October 2011 through June 2012.
This is your chance to join a legacy of leaders paving the way for social justice. Click here to register for the info session.
Contact David Nicholson with any questions: david [at] headwatersfoundation [dot] org.
Time: 6-7 p.m.
Date: Thursday, Aug. 4, 2011
Place: Common Roots Cafe, 2558 Lyndale Ave. S., Minneapolis, MN 55405