A public park since 1910, the ancient bluff serves as an impressive landmark.
Frederick Johnson, a native of Red Wing, Minnesota, has written eight books and numerous magazine features regarding state and local history. His works include histories of Lake Minnetonka, Richfield, Bloomington, Edina, Red Wing, and Goodhue County.
Red Wing activist Susie Williamson Stageberg spent a lifetime fighting for unpopular political and social causes.
In early summer 1863, William Colvill, now a full colonel, commanded the First Minnesota as it approached Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.
After helping to boost production in the area, Parkin believed Goodhue County cheese makers should publicize their efforts.
Though the Mdewakanton Dakota initially fought with the British in 1812, by 1814 the Red Wing group decided to cast their lot with the United States.
Shoemaker was convicted of improper use of the mail after calling a Red Wing banker “Robber of Widows and Orphans” in a letter.
Two major fires in the 1880s prompted Cannon Falls to establish a regular crew of firefighters.
Divorce in Minnesota’s nineteenth century Norwegian-Lutheran community was a rarity. Legal separation between a leading pastor and his wife was unheard of.
In the second half of the nineteenth century many farmers throughout the state grew wheat in preference to all other crops.
On August 13, 1898, the Thirteenth Minnesota Infantry regiment led an American advance against Spanish forces holding the Philippine city of Manila.
Thanks to the limestone bluffs and hills that surrounded Red Wing, the town became a Minnesota lime-making and stone quarrying center from 1870 to 1910.
Speaking out against U.S. involvement in World War I had its hazards for Minnesota citizens.
In 1854 a group of Methodist ministers founded Hamline University in Red Wing.
Anderson’s new breakfast food would make him a nationally known figure and the face of a Quaker Oats advertising campaign for almost a decade.
Opponents gave him a different nickname: “Commander-in-Chief of the Hunger Brigade.”
In 1949 Anderson became the first American woman to hold the rank of ambassador.